The festivities are finally over and all that is left is the mess to pick up and the excitement for the new year. I personally had a rough 2018 because I went through a very hard experience towards the end of the year, one that I never thought I would go through in my life, but I believe that it made me stronger and it helped me discover more of who I am and the things that are important for me in my life. I came out of 2018 knowing that there are certain things that are just non-negotiable for me and one of them is my health.
As the new year begins there are a lot of us doing different challenges with the hope to help us be better this coming year. Challenges can be a good thing and they can help us create new habits or break old ones that are holding us back. This year challenge yourself to incorporate more whole plant foods into your diet and see how you feel. Adding these kind of foods can only help you and give you more energy, better digestion, better sleep, and much more, the benefits are truly endless.
For my first blog post of the year I wanted to share the 5 top habits that have helped me transition into a more holistic plant-based diet over the past few years. I believe that perfect diets don’t really exist because we are all humans and we have a lifetime of eating, so instead I advocate for small changes in our daily lives that can have big impact.
5 Habits That Can Help You Change Your Diet
- Fill your house and pantry with fresh fruit and plant-based foods and stop buying processed junk. By always having these foods available at your house, it will make it easier to eat them and to replace them with the junk. You can grab an apple and peanut-butter instead of reaching for a sweet pastry, candy, or chips.
- Choose Plant-based over processed every time you eat. Now this will require you to think before you put anything in your mouth, and to actually look for something that is fresh or plant based and eat it before you grab anything else that is processed. I learnt this habit last year and it was a game changer for me.
- Drink a tall glass of water first thing in the morning. I have been doing this for many years now, I’m naturally drawn to water as soon as I wake up and I usually don’t drink anything until I’m done with my water, even coffee.
- Eat fruit as your first meal if possible. I’m not a big breakfast eater, but I do love to eat fruit as my first meal, specially during the summer. Fruit is very high in water content and vitamins and minerals that our body needs. It is also better to eat fruit by itself and not combine it with other cooked foods.
- Drink a green smoothie or juice a day. If you have been following me for a while you know that I live by this! green smoothies and juices are life for me and I try my best to drink one a day. This is a habit that I have incorporated into daily life for the past few years and it has been so helpful for my digestion, my skin issues, and so much more.
So that it! I hope that this information can be helpful in your personal health journey, I encourage you to incorporate some of these healthy habits into your life and see how you feel, remember that we are all different so figure our what works for you and leave what doesn’t work for you, just keep moving forward.
I’m excited to start the 2019 “one smoothie a day” challenge with you, I will be posting my favorite smoothie recipes on my InstaGram and here, so make sure you are following!
Until next time…