It is hard to believe the the holidays are almost here, where does time go? with a little one running around the house and a really busy teenager it is hard to keep up around my house! It took me a little bit to be able to put this recipe together but I’m so glad I found time to do it and share it with you. This could be a perfect dish to bring to your Thanksgiving party.
This is one of my favorite meals for the cold months, I find myself making this vegan chili almost every week. It is just very simple to make but very flavorful and it is a perfect go-to dinner for a weeknight. I will be sharing how I make this dish, but like with all of my other recipes feel free to adjust the ingredients and make it your own.
You can make this meal super simple by using canned ingredients like I did, but if you are not comfortable with that please feel free to substitute with fresh ingredients. I have tried it both ways and find it much easier to use canned but I also like to use fresh beans when possible.
How To Make A Super Simple Homemade Vegan Chili
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow Onion, chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 4 Carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of chili powder
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 15oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 15oz can of tomato sauce
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 15oz can of organic black beans, drained
- 1 15oz can of organic pinto beans, drained
- 1 15oz can of organic corn
- 1 cup of water
- Vegan cheese or any other toppings of your liking
1. Warm the olive oil in a large dutch oven or large pot over medium heat, once the oil is heated add the onion and cook for about 3 minutes.
2. Add the carrots, celery, and garlic and add the salt, chili powder, and ground cumin, cook for about 5 to 7 minutes or until onions are translucent and vegetables are tender.
3. Add the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Add the beans, corn, vegetable broth, and cup of water and bring to a boil. This is a good time to taste it and add more salt if desired.
5. Reduce heat, cover and let it simmer for 30 minutes.
6. Serve and garnish with your favorite toppings. I love to add vegan cheese and avocado and eat it with tortilla chips.
I hope you give this dish a try and love it as much as we do. This is the perfect time to try it and make it for the Holidays.