Life is getting really busy around here and it just seems like every minute of my day is called for, I’m sure all moms can relate to this, but today’s recipe is one of our favorites around my house and one that I’ve been wanting to share for a while.
Sweet potatoes are a staple around here and I would say that I cook with them at least 3 times a week! (make sure to check out my IG stories and account to see how I cook with them every week) they are so versatile and incredible rich in flavor, they are the perfect ingredient for many meals. They are also super high on many nutrients and vitamins as well as fiber, so you can never go wrong with sweet potatoes!
Ok… so I hope I’ve convinced you of how marvelous sweet potatoes are by now and you are ready to give this recipe a try!
Here is what you need for the loaded potatoes:
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 2 15oz cans of black beans
- Vegan Cheese
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Juice of 1 lime
I like to top my potatoes with a delicious avocado cream sauce instead of using sour cream or mayo, this recipe is from The Oh She Glows Cookbook which is one of my favorite cookbooks.
Here is what you need for the Avocado Cream Sauce:
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 to 2 medium avocados
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or using a silicone mat
3. Poke the sweet potatoes with a fork or knife
4. Bake potatoes in the oven for 1 hour or until potatoes are tender (if using large potatoes, you might have to cook them for 1.5 hours or more)
5. Remove Potatoes from the oven, add vegan cheese on top and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
6. Drain and rinse back beans and put on a skillet
7. Add the salt, ground cumin, and chili powder and cook for 5 minutes.
8. Add lime and remove from heat, set aside
FOR THE AVOCADO CREAM SAUCE:
In a food processor, process the cilantro until minced. Add the avocado, lime juice, salt, and garlic powder and 3 tablespoons of water and process until creamy.
Load up your potato!
Grab a potato and add the black beans, avocado cream sauce, more cheese, and any other toppings of your liking.
This is seriously delicious and I hope you and your family like it as much as we do. The fun thing about this recipe is that you can play with it and add as many toppings as you want. We like to keep it simple but flavorful!