It was a crazy week at my house due my son’s 13th birthday, you heard it right it… I officially have a teenager at home!! So… despite all the craziness I was able to pull some healthy meals for dinner and this “Veggie Cauliflower Rice” was the perfect side for a couple of nights. It is so easy to make and way better for you than regular rice, there are many recipes out there for this dish, so go ahead and experiment with it until you get the recipe that you like the best!
Here is what you will need:
- 1 Large head of Cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 bell peppers chopped (your choice on the color)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground pepper
- Juice of half a lemon
- Cut the cauliflower head into small pieces, cutting away the stems as much as possible.
2. Put the cauliflower pieces into a food processor to give it the “rice” consistency. Make sure to put a few pieces at a time and pulse until the mixture resembles rice. If you don’t have a food processor you can use a grater and just grate the cauliflower to resemble rice.
3. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-heat. Add the bell peppers and and stir them until they are covered with the oil. Cook them for about 3- 5 minutes or until tenter. (excuse my chopping… I was in a hurry :))
*Note: feel free to use any kid of vegetable that you like here, I only had peppers that night, but I think it would be great to add some mushrooms!
4. Add the cauliflower rice to skillet, add the salt, pepper and lemon juice and stir to combine. Continue cooking for 5 – 7 minutes, or until cauliflower is soft (keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn)
5. Transfer Cauliflower Rice to a serving dish and enjoy it as a side just like you would regular rice! I paired it with some roasted carrots and it was delicious!
We love this dish around my house, anyone who knows me knows that I can’t cook real rice to save my life for some reason… so let’s just say my family is happy I found a great healthy option! I hope you try it at home and let me know if you like it!